The OAHS journal Oxoniensia is now available online. All but the most recent five volumes are freely available under a Creative Commons licence; the most recent volumes are available to subscribers.
The Crown Inn, Cornmarket: A Lost Oxford House Rediscovered
|Lecturer: Julian Munby|
|Date: 12th March 2019|
|Time: 5.30pm – 6.30pm|
|Place: Rewley House|
The recent reappearance of a William Turner watercolour of the Crown Inn has prompted an investigation of this fine 17th-century house (59-61 Cornmarket, opposite the Crown Tavern), whose plasterwork, wall-paintings and medieval cellar were lost when it was demolished in 1890.
Julian Munby is Head of Buildings Archaeology at Oxford Archaeology, and a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries. He has been researching the history of Oxford for many years and has recently produced a study of the ‘Painted Room’ in Cornmarket for the Oxford Preservation Trust, of which he is a Trustee.
The Society's speaker meetings and committee meetings are held in Rewley House, Oxford (marked R).
There are metered parking spaces on the west and north sides of Wellington Square. More spaces are normally available on the west side of St Giles where it joins Woodstock Road. From here it is only a short walk down Little Clarendon Street and across Wellington Square to Rewley House.
Parking in Wellington Square is charged until 6.30p.m. and costs £3.00 for up to one hour and £5.00 for up to two. Park and Ride buses from Water Eaton, Pear Tree and Redbridge stop at the top of St Giles, a short distance from Rewley House.
Oxfordshire Architectural and Historical Society is a registered charity, registration number 259055.